Explore the neuroscience of depression and how to bring empathy in to support healing and growth. This 90 minute teleseminar will integrate the latest research with approaches to using somatic empathy to make our lives easier when we are working with depression.
This recording with powerpoint visuals covers:
- Brief review of the brain
- Attachment trauma – customs that create “good” babies
- The complexity of depression
- Anaclitic vs. episodic depression
- Polyvagal theory and the depression “freeze”
- Working with the ever-present past
- Calling on the body to name experience
- Rupture and repair with self
- Implications for practitioners of NVC
- Questions and time for integration
Note: This webinar was done in 2011 and some of the understanding of neuroscience has evolved since this time. Please bear this in mind as you listen.
Note from Sarah: In this webinar I mention that the vagus nerve has 3 gears or channels, which is sort of true – but I don’t say that now since the HPA axis ( the body’s stress response, Fight/Flight) co-opts the ventral channel of the vagus nerve rather than being part of the nerve itself.