To see these offerings in a printable format, click here.
Please familiarize yourself with the intention of the group in the classroom on sarahpeyton.com or here.
Session 2: Exploring Chapter 4, Healing Shame by Identifying Broken Contracts
Focus: Releasing Window of Welcome contracts
An option for group resonance and discussion, created and offered by Jaya Manske
1. Take a moment to settle in and say hello (Timing: 1-2 minutes)
2. Choose someone to lead this session. We recommend a different person volunteer to lead each time. This person will track time and read aloud the instructions that follow (you may also pick 2 people, one to track time and another to read instructions). (Timing: 1 minute)
3. Check-in. Please go around the circle, giving each person an opportunity to share:
– One feeling and/or body sensation you’re experiencing
– Share a metaphor for your internal weather report.
– If your internal experience was likened to the weather, what are you experiencing today as you enter this space together? (For example: is it cloudy and warm? Is it a sweltering drought? Is
it like a hurricane with gale-force winds? Is it like a calm day with an occasional breeze?).
For ideas about how to create a group where deep sharing is possible, please read these guidelines
(Timing: 9-15 minutes)
4. Working with Window of Welcome Contracts
(Timing: remaining time, leaving 5 minutes for closure. Approx. 45 minutes)
Reflect on the possible contracts that may have arisen for you during the past weeks. Including during last class where we began to explore Window of Welcome contracts.
Some possible contracts to consider:
cry/let anyone know I’m crying
feel sad/let anyone know I’m sad
feel lonely/let anyone know I’m lonely
be afraid/let anyone know I’m afraid
be angry/let anyone know I’m angry
be ashamed/let anyone know I’m ashamed
be hurt/let anyone know I’m hurt
feel disgust/let anyone know I feel disgust
feel helpless/let anyone know I feel helpless
feel confused/let anyone know I’m confused
be depressed/let anyone know I’m depressed
go into shock/let anyone know I’m in shock
laugh too loudly
try/let anyone know I’m trying
want things/let anyone know I want things
have feelings or needs
Feel into it, you don’t need to know all the steps to begin. Just the behavior or thought you’d like to shift.
Below are 3 options to approach contract work as a group. Decide what you’d like to do today, knowing you can try different approaches in the future.
Option 1: In smaller sub-groups, support one another to release a self-management contract. Please keep time travel resonance in mind as you go through the process if you hit any stuck places.
Option 2: Work on contracts as a group:
1 . Choose someone to lead
2. People can journal or write in the chat
3. Have the person leading ask everyone:
(give space after each question to consider, also allowing for the person leading to consider their own contract)
a) to connect to the window of welcome contract you found for yourself to not express or feel or show an emotion and find the words for the start of the contract “I (your name) solemnly swear that I will not….” (Refer to what arose for you or in reviewing the possible contracts) (create space to look inward)
b) Who or what is the contract made to? (essential self, mother, father, ancestors, humanity, earth, God, universe, etc.)
c) In order to? What is the deep need that is met by doing this/believing this?
4. Once you have it all together, repeat the contract to yourself in its entirety “I (your name) solemnly swear to ____(who was the contract made to)_____, that I will not_________________, in order to ____________________________. No matter the cost to myself or those I love.”
5. Become who/what you each made your contract to and ask “________ did you hear this vow?”
If no, then repeat the words of the vow. If still no, consider if the contract was made to someone else.
6. Move to release – staying with who/what you each made your contract to and ask “________ do you like this vow for (your name)”?
a) If ‘no’, release.
“I release you from this contract and I revoke his vow”
b) If ‘yes’, allow others to release and maybe move to support the person with a ‘no’
(choice point) (use the time travel resonance process)
7. Blessing – following the release, what does your essential self, or whoever you made your contract want for you? Create a blessing that encourages you to live in a new way. What do you want for yourself instead?
“And I give you my blessing to…”
8. Come back to yourself and celebrate and/or be with how it is to be you without the contract
9. Take a moment to connect with one another if that seems sweet – how was it for each of you? Share anything you’d like about the process or blessing. Make sure everyone who wants to gets a chance to share.
Option 3: If, instead you want to work with just one person as a group, choose one person to work with and one person to support the process.
Everyone else witnesses.
The full process is in the handout for chapter 4 or on pages 87-88 of the workbook.
Please track who has received support and supported today, so you can rotate each time.
8. Closure: please close by having each person name a need met or a gift received after this discussion. You can read more about this practice here.
(Timing: 5 minutes)
OTHER FORMATS FOR YOU TO CHOOSE FROM:
The suggested format above is meant to create ease, however, your group might instead choose to structure your time around any of these activities or create your own:
1. Offer resonant empathy to each other, either in the whole group or in smaller sub-groups (you can use this resonant empathy circle format if you’d like)
2. Listen to the meditation from chapter 4 together and talk about what came up for you
3. Continue your discussion from your previous session together
4. Do one of the homework exercises suggested together and discuss
5. Focus on practicing Time Travel Resonance in small groups or as a large group