- This event has passed.
Authenticity, Belonging and Shame
July 12, 2022 @ 9:00 am - August 30, 2022 @ 10:30 am PDTCost: $448 – $698
About the Event
Do you wonder how to be who you actually are? Do you wonder why there is often a backlash of shame after you express yourself honestly or vulnerably?
This series addresses the central riddle of being human, namely how to be authentic while also belonging.
Intriguingly, understanding our shame is a valuable key to navigating this tension between authenticity and belonging with clarity. Together with Sarah Peyton, you will explore the 11 ways that shame can happen in humans.
Shame can happen when we:
- Receive contempt or ridicule in public or from someone with more personal, social, economic, or structural power
- Express more emotion than a friend or a group can easily reflect (embarrassment)
- Realize we’ve taken an action against our integrity
- Believe we aren’t good enough
- Use shame to manage our rage
- Experience self-disgust
- Break a contract
- Have privilege
- Are not able to save the world
- Have a parent or caregiver who is consistently ashamed of us (persistent and toxic shame)
- Have the sense that we have been brought to this life without our own consent.
Using shame, you will learn ways to make choices that enable you to be authentic and to have a sense of warm belonging in communities that matter to you.
To transform your new knowledge into lasting learning, this gentle and warm 12-week offering will include time travel empathy to dissolve old pain and unconscious contract work to transform old contracts to life-serving personal covenants around self-expression.
Tuesdays and Thursdays, July 12-August 30, 2022 skipping August 2, 4, 18 (twelve sessions)
9-10:30am Pacific (California) Time
- Video and audio recordings of every session
- Forum discussion available in the classroom
- Lifetime access to the classroom
- This work is not therapy and is not a substitute for therapy. If you have a sense that you would be destabilized by others speaking about difficult events, it would be better not to register for this program. We do not have the resources for extreme psychological difficulties such as paranoia, suicidality or schizophrenia.
Cost and How to Register
Early Bird 20% discount – $559 until June 21 ($698 after)
NVC Library Members – $448 until June 21 ($559 after)
Enter coupon code NVCL at time of checkout.
Read more about this offering here.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I REGISTER?
When you register, you will receive an email with complete instructions on how to access the videoconference. All registrants will receive access to all recordings. Recordings will display images of active speakers only.
Sarah Peyton, Certified Trainer of Nonviolent Communication and neuroscience educator, integrates brain science and the use of resonant language to heal personal and collective trauma with exquisite gentleness.
Sarah is a sought-after expert who brings neuroscience expertise together with depth work, self-compassion, and the transformative potential of language. She works with audiences internationally to create a compassionate understanding of the effects of relational trauma on the brain, and teaches people how words change and heal us.
Sarah teaches and lectures internationally and is the author of four books on relational neuroscience and self-compassion: Your Resonant Self: Guided Meditations and Exercises to Engage Your Brain’s Capacity for Healing, the companion Your Resonant Self Workbook: From Self-sabotage to Self-care, and Affirmations for Turbulent Times: Resonant Words to Soothe Body and Mind, and The Antiracist Heart: A Self-Compassion and Activism Handbook, co-authored alongside Roxy Manning, PhD.